"That's right," the fox said. "For me you're only a little boy just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you have no need of me, either. For you I'm only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, we'll need each other. You'll be the only boy in the world for me. I'll be the only fox in the world for you..."
--The Little Prince

Monday, November 30, 2009

Shelters in Ukraine





While in Ukraine we spent four days meeting with different shelters throughout Kiev and western Ukraine. Not only was I impressed and moved by the women who had come to the shelters to take control of their lives and hope for something better, but I was deeply moved by the Ukrainian workers who gave so much of their time, talents and professions to helping these women. Social workers, therapists, psychologists and other professionals were dedicating their lives to helping combat domestic violence...some for absolutely no financial gain whatsoever, and all of the others for the most minimal salaries.

They greeted us with graciousness and professionalism as we worked together to discover what programs and other needs Courage to Hope could assist in supporting.

No comments: