"That's right," the fox said. "For me you're only a little boy just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you have no need of me, either. For you I'm only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, we'll need each other. You'll be the only boy in the world for me. I'll be the only fox in the world for you..."
--The Little Prince

Thursday, December 4, 2008

All That Korean and a Bag of Chips


This is my token foreign roommate--Sun Hee Kim. She's a 1984 from Korea studying Property Management, one of the coolest girls I know, and the only person I am aware of who spent Thanksgiving break watching Titanic ten times.

The other day we were coming back from the store after buying chips and dip for a party. Sun Hee was getting the last groceries out of the trunk and somehow managed to accidentally close the trunk right onto a bag of tortilla chips. Forget the munchies, this was one of the funniest moments of the semester, and I almost died with laughter right there in the parking lot (and by "died with laughter" I mean that I almost wet my pants.)

This just really got me thinking about how happiness in life is all about the people you know and the small moments you share. It was Thoreau who said, "That man is richest whose pleasures are cheapest." Amen to that. I hope that I am always easily pleased by the small and simple things in life, like a bag of chips shut in a trunk and a quirky Korean roommate. Cheers!

1 comment:

Jennie Taylor said...

Boo--do you know how funny it is to read your "high roller" post and then immediately after scroll down to the "life is better lived simply" post about a bag of chips? Now I'M about to die laughing :). Love you!