"That's right," the fox said. "For me you're only a little boy just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you have no need of me, either. For you I'm only a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, we'll need each other. You'll be the only boy in the world for me. I'll be the only fox in the world for you..."
--The Little Prince

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Changed Men Can Change the World


“When you choose to follow Christ, you choose to be changed.
The Lord works from the inside out. The world works from the outside in. The world would take people out of the slums. Christ takes the slums out of people, and then they take themselves out of the slums. The world would mold men by changing their environment. Christ changes men, who then change their environment. The world would shape human behavior, but Christ can change human nature . . . Yes, Christ changes men, and changed men can change the world.” --Ezra T. Benson


Last year when I called my mother to tell her that I had been called to serve as Relief Society President, her response was, "Good. This will be good practice for the real world." I have to admit that I was a little taken back. It seems that the bubble that exists in Provo, Utah is often viewed as a mere training ground for young people who one day want to do great things. You know, one day we'll be in REAL wards and in REAL situations where people REALLY need help, right?

Well, my experience in Happy Valley has lead me to the firm understanding that I am living in the REAL world, zoobies and all. The people and experiences surrounding me right now are as real as they will ever be, and I can not wait for a future moment to start making a difference and changing the world. I would submit to all of you (yes, all two or three of you who love me enough to read the thoughts of my soul) that the real purpose and work in life which each of us needs to be engaged in is most vital right here with those people immediately surrounding us. BYU is NOT simply a training ground. We are not here simply to learn and then one day go forth to serve. Living the Gospel of Jesus Christ can not wait until we have a degree or land the job we want. God needs good men right now to change the world, even in Provo.

What good is it to study to become a world-shaking leader or humanitarian if I can't push aside my own agenda today to help those around me? How can I expect to change the world one day if I'm not flexible enough today to change my busy schedule in order to serve? It all starts here and now, and it starts with Change. It's not enough to solve my own problems or to help to solve the problems of others. Solving problems isn't the long-term goal; Change is the long-term goal.

So, get out there and serve. Reach beyond yourself. Open your eyes and see that every single day the Lord needs people to make a difference. He needs you; He needs me. We can not afford to be caught up in the common self-absorbed culture of college life. Yes, school is important, but even a college degree can not trump the importance of serving a child of God. I hope that I am never so busy or so important that I can't push my personal or professional life to the side for a moment to help someone.

So, let's start. Christ changes men, and changed men really can change the world.







5 comments:

The Norths said...

You inspire my Kristy!! I look up to you so much! Thanks for your thoughts... this blog is a great pep talk for those of us who've been being a little too lazy lately.

Jo Ellen/Toots said...

Hello! Dear--I'm one of the people who love you enough to read your blog. Although your blogs are wonderful, and if others knew what they were missing they'd read your blog. We only have one day at a time. And if we procrastinate, that day is essentially taken from us. Love, Toots

Kate Smith said...

who and where is the baby you're holding?

Stephanie said...

Kristy dear! I am so excited for you I think you will be awesome! You have so much to give. I think that I am learning a lesson like yours but just switched around a bit. I felt that I have more to give and I am not able to do so where I am. I learned (after humbling myself)when my mom told me my heart is in the right place but to remember that to lead you have to first learn to follow. I thought, I don't want to miss what I could be learning now all the time saying I wish that I could do more. Now is the time! Your the best Kristy. I love you!P.S. now I have two callings.

Tyler said...

Great quotes! I especially liked the one by Eza Taft Benson. You have a beautiful soul!